I’m glad the weekend is finally here because it’s been a terrible week for me and I simply need some rest from everything else. I didn’t want to bake anything complicated because I know I’ll definitely screw them up. In fact, I don’t even feel like chopping butter, weighing flour/sugar or washing the dishes after everything. I need something quick and easy but gives me satisfaction at the same time.
The first thing that came to my mind was of course macarons but the idea ( or hassle) of precision makes me drop the idea. Then I remembered meringues, the easily forgotten “cousins” of our favourite macarons.
I love meringue because of the ease of preparation. All you need is simply sugar (I simply estimate the amount needed) and egg whites and best of all, these simple ingredients turn into something heavenly. The crust is crisp but melts in your mouth on the next bite then, the meringue becomes chewy, as though you’re having some bbq marshmallows but chewier and yummier.
If you need something quick and easy, maybe you can also try these babies too. Happy weekend!
2 Egg White (my egg weights 60gm each)
100gm caster sugar
1. Preheat oven to 130 degree celsius.
2. Using high speed, whip the egg whites till frothy.
3. Switch to medium speed. Gradually add in the caster sugar and continue to whip the egg white to stiff peak.
4. Pipe onto mini cupcake liners and bake for about 1 hour.
5. Leave the meringue in the oven to dry for at least 1 hour.